Ice Plunging Safely into Fun and Wellness for your active Kids
Ice plunging, also known as cold water immersion or cold plunges, involves immersing the body in icy water for a short duration. While this practice has gained popularity among adults for its potential health benefits, it's important to approach the idea of ice plunging for kids with caution. Children's bodies may respond differently to extreme temperatures, and their ability to regulate body temperature may not be as effective as in adults.
We recently conducted a community poll on our Instagram page and the resounding feedback was positive.
For example; we heard from 7 year old Archie’s mum who says he “loves an ice pod – he has the best sleep ever and helps his recovery after football.”
Before you start:
- Safety first: Safety should be the top priority. Always ensure that the water temperature is safe for children and monitored closely. It's crucial to avoid any risk of hypothermia or other adverse effects.
- Consultation with your GP: Before introducing any extreme temperature activities, especially for children, consult with your GP. They can provide guidance based on your child's individual health and medical history.
- Supervision: Children should always be supervised during ice plunging to ensure their safety. Proper supervision is crucial to respond quickly if there are any signs of discomfort or distress.
- Gradual introduction: If you decide to introduce ice plunging, start gradually with shorter durations and warmer water temperatures. Allow your child's body to acclimatise to the experience over time. If you go too cold too soon they might be reluctant to try again!
How easy are they to use at home?
Ice bath pods are designed to be convenient and user-friendly for individuals who want to experience the benefits of cold water immersion therapy at home.
- Quick setup: The fact that the pod takes only minutes to erect means that even the busiest parents can quickly set it up without the need for complex assembly or installation processes.
- Fast filling: The short time it takes to fill the pod (approximately 15 minutes) ensures that you can start your cold water immersion therapy relatively quickly.
- Convenient draining: The handy tap on the side of the pod for draining makes the maintenance process really easy. You can conveniently empty and refill the water as needed.
- Water-changing frequency: You will need to change the water every few days to avoid bacterial growth or water contamination.
- Compact and portable: Most ice bath pods are designed to be relatively compact and portable, allowing you to place them in various locations around your home or garden.
What are the health benefits?
- Improved circulation: Cold water immersion can promote healthy circulation, which is beneficial for overall cardiovascular health.
- Mood and stress regulation: Some people report improved mood and stress regulation after cold water immersion. Cold water immersion stimulates the body’s adaptive stress response, which can improve its ability to handle stress in the long-run.
- Immune system support: There is growing evidence to suggest that exposure to cold may have positive effects on the immune system and protect us against viruses.
- Better sleep: Many people report a better quality of sleep after ice plunging, largely due to the melatonin output that results after a plunge. Experts suggest you time your ice bath less than 20 minutes prior to bedtime for the best results and the deepest possible sleep.
- More energy: Studies have shown that the secretion of norepinephrine increases during cold exposure. Norepinephrine is one of the hormones responsible for regulating attention, focus and energy.
- Better recovery post injury or after sport: Cold water immersion after strenuous exercise can help reduce delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) and inflammation.
When it comes to equipment, your choice of ice pod may depend on your location, preferences, and specific needs. There are many different brands on the market, including Polar Recovery (as modelled by our Founder, Emma Burke)
If you SHOP at Polar Recovery and enter code “LACEEZE10” you can save 10% off your order.
While evidence does show that ice bath pods can have huge health and mental wellbeing benefits, using them should be approached with some caution - especially when dealing with children. Extreme cold can have adverse effects if not used appropriately, and individual responses can vary. Therefore, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or a qualified practitioner before making this part of their post exercise routine. Starting off with less icy temperatures, to gradually introduce them to the optimum 10 – 15 Degrees Celsius, is also advisable for new dippers.
If you do decide to take the plunge, let us know how you get on! Share your experiences with us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org